Friday, May 8, 2015

Friday!

The painting on the left is a painting from a few years ago.  I painted it from a photo reference. I guess when I painted it I wanted to remain faithful to the photograph. But, what a dumpy figure! She wasn't really overweight, but she wore a "puffy jacket" and let's face it, she looked a little like a baked potato. 

 I realized that painting into the background (around the original figure) would effectively revamp the walker to make her more svelte.  (I wish we could so easily trim down in real life)! The topic in our recent art discussion meeting was "negative space" so I took this painting and explained how I changed it. (I also pepped up the color everywhere).

To see what everyone else brought....go Here.

Today Dave and I went to Longview to visit George Broderick. We had lunch and looked at all the fabulous art at his gallery.  A really great visit. (Thanks for the picture, Dave)!


Painting: Celeste Bergin, Rainy Day Shopping, oil on 12x6 canvas panel

8 comments:

Helen Moreda said...

The pumped up color really sings as does the trimmed figure. Great decisions resulting in a very nice painting.

Sadami said...

ʚ(ˆ◡ˆ)ɞ·.•*•♫°•♫·.•ʚ(ˆ◡ˆ)ɞ !!

Elizabeth Fife said...

Good notes from that meeting! Negative space was one of the first concepts that I became of aware of when I began to draw. I have been abusing it ever since!

I always love seeing what is on George's walls in the background shots:)

art by Michael Perchard said...

Hello Celeste! Hi!
I remember the older painting!
I love them both! Totally different reasons!
You certainly captured atmosphere and emotion!
Love the colors and so much more!
Two Bravos for you!
Glad you got a chance to visit the galley! So much fun to see art!!!!
Take care!
Your art buddy!
"On The Mend Michael!"

Pam Huggins said...

Amazing how you take a beautiful painting and transform it into yet another beautiful painting!!!
Your work is joyful and lively. Always a pleasure to see what you are up to.
Thank you Celeste for sharing your work. :-)

hmuxo said...

I really like both paintings, Celeste but the added color on the newest one is so beautiful. Wonderful work!

L.W.Roth, said...

I like the dumpy broad. She's real. A bit of saturated color on the original (shoulder area) would have done it. The skinny board lacks character--too idealistic.

Celeste Bergin said...

thanks, all!