Monday, January 18, 2016

Monday!

Last week I did this oil study from a photo reference (generously given to our Facebook Alla Prima Portland group by Khanh Huynh (Thanks, Khanh). I liked the big dark shapes. I'll probably do a couple more versions of this. To see the other Alla Prima Portland art discussion paintings from last week go HERE.

I thought I would gesso some new MDF boards today. I used to work on board like this a long time ago--so it isn't completely new to me. 

This "file folder holder" makes a great drying station. I'll be doing multiple gesso passes on these panels. Well now...what about you--what have you been doing art-wise?

(Oil Study) Celeste Bergin, Khanh's model, oil on 12x16 canvas sheet

10 comments:

Sheryl Anthonyl said...

Beautiful painting, Celeste!

Sadami said...

Thank u for sharing precious information. The work is attractive. Go ahead, Celeste!

Libby Fife said...

Nice big shapes and gorgeous color!

Now what about those panels?:) Are you able to tell me the brand? I am always on the lookout for wood supports that are reasonably priced and won't warp!

Celeste Bergin said...

Libby Fife, those are made by Art Advantage. Can't remember the price, but they are economical. I plan to go to Home Depot and buy MDF there (and have it cut by them or my h)...if I determine that I like this surface. I've been a canvas person mostly but recently I liked the birch panels that I used for the "Big 500" show.

suzanneberry said...

That study is just wonderful!! So strong and full of atmosphere!! Well done!

And thank you for those incredibly kind words on Howie! Wow! My head is enormous!!

Helen Moreda said...

Celeste, the composition is wonderful. Large shapes, light and dark. I really like the simplicity.
I have been working on landscapes from a local park. You saw the painted studies on the blog. Now I have taken it much large which is certainly not easy. I will be posting those result. Onward and upward!

susan putnam- jensen said...

Good idea for holding gesso boards. I also like your painting. ;-)

John Simlett said...

Just admiring those lost and found edges, Celeste, with so much tension and drama all coming together to make a great painting.

Because I taught myself to paint on canvas I tend to stay there. My one attempt on a panel was like trying to walk on ice for the first time :)

Julie Ford Oliver said...

This is a stunning painting. ..great angles and colors. I think it is one of my absolute favs of yours. You just keep turning them out don't you!!! I sure hope you do a couple more.

Lisa Graham Art said...

Your "study" here reads like a completed masterpiece. I think it's beautiful Celeste! I loved it on Facebook and now I am telling you here. xo