Tuesday, March 8, 2016

I'm back...! AGAIN

Well, I haven’t had so much to report. My life pretty much came to a grinding halt while I tried to find out what to do about the intractable daily headaches I have been having for a full year. The situation just got worse and worse. Last week, after months and months (and months) of conservative treatment I had sinus surgery. I’m so grateful to my wonderful Doctor Timothy Smith at OHSU and I am optimistic that I am going to be back 100%. Aren't we lucky that we live in an age when Doctors and nurses can help us so much? It just feels like a miracle that the daily headache chapter might actually be coming to a close.

Ok!  By way of catching up….despite all the trouble I’ve had I did manage to get to Studio one-eleven at the Troy for a couple of life painting sessions. This is Sean. They also call him “Boss”. He definitely gives off an air of a man in-charge.

Another week at Studio one-eleven.  This model wore a lovely backless dress, but my view of her was from the front. I loved the hits of color from the lighting on her face. 

 Headache or not, I always make a concerted effort to get to Art Discussion Thursdays. This is an “experimental” painting I brought. (I realize now that it looks like an ad for Headache.  Haha)!
(To see what others brought...go here, here and here)

Sinus surgery recovery is no cake walk…I literally had to take to my bed and just stay there. I’ve done a batch of self portraits in my sketchbook (from photos). This one is one of my favorites where I am contemplating cutting my hair.

Finally today, I felt well enough to set up a little “sketch station” in the bedroom. I like drawing and I’m going to make it a daily habit…(like my friend Jim King does).  Now you are all brought up to date….Next, I’ll be checking in with you on what you’ve been doing! (And Thank you facebookers,  for all the well wishes on my Facebook wall).

(Photo 1): Painting, Celeste Bergin, Oil, Sean, 16x20 oil on canvas sheet
(Photo 2)  Painting, Celeste Bergin, Oil, Young Lady, 16x20 oil on canvas sheet
(Photo 3)  Painting, Celeste Bergin, Oil, Waiting, 16x20 oil on canvas sheet
(Photo 4)  Drawing, Celeste Bergin, I should cut this #2 pencil in Fabriano sketchbook, 
(Photo 5)  Sketch corner in the bedroom

14 comments:

Julie Ford Oliver said...

wonderful to see your blog again, Celeste. Sorry you have had such a rough time of it, but it will all be worthwhile. A year of headaches - I can't even begin to imagine.
Love your paintings but most of all your art spirit. You really do inspire.

Sadami said...

Dear Celeste, thank you for visiting my blog despite after such a tough time. Health recovery takes time. Please take care and relax yourself first. When you feel like drawing, go, but please put your health first. We look forward to your paintings. Best wishes, Sadami

Sheryl Anthony said...

Welcome back, Celeste. I wondered where you were. These are all lovely works. I especially like the headache painting.

Libby Fife said...

Celeste,

I had no idea you had been so sick. I am sorry! I did miss your posts and am glad that you will be back in action and healthy, I hope.

Lovely portraits as always. Funny how our work reflects our situation-headache painting indeed!

Have a good recovery? Is that the right thing to say? LOL:) Take care of yourself and I hope that things will improve.
Libby

Helen Moreda said...

Celeste...so glad you are on the mend. What a long year. You know the planes of the face so well. Beautiful. So glad you are on the mend.

hmuxo said...

I'm so sorry to hear you were so ill. Hopefully all your headaches will be gone!
Just know I'm thinking of you! I'm still recovering from Shoulder surgery... no picnic either! but everyday it gets better... after almost 2 months, I still wear a sling which is annoying but hopefully I won't need it soon!
These paintings are amazing Celeste! One is better than the other...lol. Feel better!!!

Mary Jane Muir said...

Dear Celeste - Thank you so much for dropping by my blog this week. I am so sorry to read about your headaches and surgery. Please take good care of yourself and recover 100% soon.
And keep on drawing and painting!
I love your work!

Candace X. Moore said...

Hi, Celeste,

Sorry to hear you are ailing. Hope the medical procedure gives you long term relief. Life is too short to waste time on headaches.

Love the pieces you posted, especially that first portrait. The warms and cools balance each other so beautifully. Nice drawing, too.

Haddock said...

I like that “sketch station” Real cozy.
Good to hear that it was a successful surgery. I know how crippling head aches are.

CrimsonLeaves said...

So sorry to hear of all you've been through in the past year, Celeste! I have to admit that I've missed you so much. I love seeing what you are doing and loved what you brought to Alla Prima Portland discussion too. These are fabulous!

Leonardo said...

Welcome back Celeste. Nice to see you again.

Lisa Graham Art said...

I am so glad to read you are recovering Celeste! I love all that you have posted here. You're portraits are so rich in deep dark color. I love that sort of palette. Your drawing corner is inviting and a brilliant idea.

You take care you! xo

John Simlett said...

Glad you're fighting-fit again, Celeste. When i saw the thumbnail on my sidebar, I thought Shaun was a Van Gogh!

Gary L. Everest said...

Hi Celeste,
Hope by now you're doing much better and have noticed a marked reduction of those evil headaches. I'm surprised you were able to tolerate them for so long and keep painting and posting. You are one "iron lady"!
Best Wishes that the problem has been solved!!
Sincerely,
Gary.